<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The DVD's are here 

When I came home on Tuesday, my loving wife surprised me with the DVD's for Star Wars. You should read the hilarious observations of James Lileks. I agree with most of what he has to say on the matter. I have been a fan of the widescreen format and was happy that the DVD's were released in that format.

I look forward to the release of Episode III. My friend since the 5th grade, Nick, will come to Knoxville to see the release. It is our tradition. My wife was 8 months pregnant for the release of Episode II, so I flew to Jackson, MS to see it with him while she stayed at home.

There is much to the criticism, but there is something else to be said. When the Imperial Stormtroopers blew open the door to the rebel blockade runner, it blew the audience back in their seats and kept them there for the next two hours. I have trouble describing the feeling that Star Wars gave me. There has been nothing like it. It was simply awe-inspiring. Special effects since have benefited from true innovation and technical refinement. But nothing made the evolutionary jump like Star Wars in 1977.

Yes, the X-wings trench-run strategy is silly in hindsight. But as a 8-year-old boy, I was simply blown away.


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com